Friday, September 11, 2015

Low oil pressure light

Just after I got back to the US from Germany my 2000 EV TDI with only 13k since the conversion and fully rebuilt engine started having a low oil pressure light and alarm come on, only when at FOT over 190*F.  This was a bit disconcerting and caused me no small amount of alarm.  I sent in an oil sample for analysis straight away and as soon as I got a spare moment I checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.  Here are the results:


FOT when parked, 184* at idle and the oil pressure held a solid 9-10psi.  At 3000 rpm the OP was 40psi.

Oil pressure at idle (904rpm) and FOT (184*F)


This analysis looks good and shows there is nothing to be alarmed about.

Verdict: All diagnostics point to a faulty low pressure oil sensor (0.3 bar).  I have an OE VW one coming and will install that as soon as it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment